YOOtheme
Τρίτη, 21 Νοέμβριος 2017
Saint Antonios and Saint Andreas Print E-mail

agios-antonios.jpg

The holy Temple of Saint Antonios and Saint Andreas was rebuilt in 1753 in place of an older temple, which possibly was first built in the 15th century. Historically it is identified with the church in which the emperor Ioannis Palaiologos functioned when he visited Kerkyra as an intermediary stop in his travel for Florence in 1439, in order to resolve the matter concerning the union of the two churches.

The church belongs to the ecclesiastical Eptanesian basilica one-aisle type and a characteristic element is that it is covered with groined-vaults. In the interior of the temple, the marble chancel screen is significant. It was created by the architect Alexandros Trivolis – Pierris, roughly twenty years after the reconstruction of the temple.

 

p-agios-antonios.jpg Περιηγηθείτε εικονικά στον Ιερό Ναό   m-agios-antonios.jpg